Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patriot's Day

We all remember, with perfect clarity, where we were today- seven years ago. I was asleep, ready to give birth any day, when I was awakened by a phone call from Garin. It was hard to pull myself out of sleep and try to comprehend what was being said to me. And then we all watched TV for days.
When I think about these events and all that has passed since then I hope that I don't ever fall 'asleep' to love of country. That I remember with perfect clarity all that has passed in the history of our country to make it a blessing to live here. We don't have to be a solider in a battle to fight our cause for freedom. We can vote. We can be good neighbors. We can build our communities in righteousness and love. We can be educated. We can be prepared. Happy Patriot's Day!

Oh beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
AMERICA! AMERICA!
May God thy gold refine.
'Til all success be nobleness and every gain divine.

Oh beautiful for Patriot's dream that sees beyond the years,
Thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears.
AMERICA! AMERICA!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.

verses 3&4 America the Beautiful

4 friends said...:

Garin Cruz said...

Thanks for this post! There is something about the way that you write. That I love(besides the fact that I'm your husband)it keeps me very interested. I'm sure there are not that many people that know that 3rd & 4th verses to America the Beautiful. You are doing a great job with everything. Thanks for all you do I Love You!! G

Anonymous said...

A great post and what a great first comment. Soooo sweet.

Sharon said...

i do love america...

Autumn said...

I think you're one of the few mothers {like me} who talk excessivly, teach of the goodness, remind of the greatness and history of our country with our children. It's VERY important to us both that our children have a love and testimony of our forefathers.

I don't believe you will ever sheirk from this desire, Bethany. It's too important to you. Don't be worried. God bless America! And God bless parents who teach their children of its eternal purpose!

My heart has been bleeding all day for the many lives affected from the terroist of 9/11.