Friday, January 4, 2008

Grandma


On Sunday, December 30th, it was the one year anniversary of my Grandmother,
Wanda Ruth Logsdon Murray, passing away after a long battle with cancer. The year has gone by quickly and I have often thought and wondered about her. I just wanted to share a few memories and things that will always remind me of her.
Orange Bubbalicious Gum
birds
a Southern drawl
seeing her strategically crouched over her heater to eat a bowl of ice cream
watching her make cheesecake at 1 am
listening to her sing 'The B-I-B-L-E' and 'Jesus Loves Me' to us
trips to Tennessee especially when we went to Gatlinburg and The Big Rock Candy Mountain
all the dresses she loved to sew for us
hearing her yell, with exasperation in her voice, "Y'all go out yonder and play!" when her grandchildren were causing too much trouble
her smile
her love of Jesus Christ
pleasure she got from singing in her church choir
the time when I was in college and she called to warn me about GHB
watching her play with babies
sad that I couldn't call her in her last few months because she couldn't talk well enough....
the list can go on and on. I love and miss her and find comfort that I will see her again.

3 friends said...:

Sharon said...

she sounds like she was a cute and fun old lady:)

Autumn said...

This was so beautiful, Bethany.
And this photo of her is adorable!

I think that showing tibute to the ones we love when they are gone is such a neat way of expressing our love and gratitude.

Maybe we should do it for the ones who are living too? I think I'd love to read what people have to say about me while I'm still here. Life is short. Too short.

The Girls' Mom said...

I agree that we should tell people when they are still alive, it seems hard to do though. Before my Grandma died I wrote her a long letter telling her about all the things I loved and learned from her. For me it was a way to say good bye properly since I knew I would not be able to be with her when she died.