Sunday, August 16, 2009


7 lbs 3 oz
19 in

We are excited to have our new little boy home with us. It has been a long nine months in which every doctor visit had at least one of the girls asking if 'Evan was going to come out today'.
Finally, on August 8th 2009 that day came bright and early.
I had gone to bed the night before around midnight without any contractions and resolved to the fact that I was going to be pregnant forever. {But on the other hand I was so grateful my pregnancy and baby were uneventful and healthy after the last week was filled with 3 dear friends experiencing the worst of what bearing children had to offer.}
At 2:30am I woke up from a dream that my stomach hurt and thought I had to go to the bathroom. When I stood up, I felt a pop and a gush of water. At that point I was wondering if I had wet myself or if my water had broke. This was something that I had not ever experienced on my own before. About ten minutes later I started to have contractions and decided we should get ready to go to the hospital. The contractions began to get harder and I thought it was because I didn't have the cushion of water... little did I know things were progressing a little quicker than I was anticipating. We finally headed out and made the 45 minute drive to the hospital. We arrived at 4am. We had fortunately had my In-laws meet us there to pick up the girls. I was in a lot of pain by the time we got there and all I could do was think about getting in there and getting some relief. I walked up to what I thought was the Labor and Delivery desk and realized that after some recent renovations the Labor and Delivery Desk had been moved and that suddenly, I needed to push! At that point I was not thinking clearly at all and couldn't comprehend where all the little signs were telling me to go. Luckily, Garin had caught with me and ran down the hall yelling ' My wife is in labor!' to try to find the nurses.
While he was finding someone I briefly considered lying on the floor and delivering the baby in the hallway myself but much to my relief they arrived with a wheelchair and took my straight to a room. The next few second/minutes felt like and eternity in an alternate world. I remember everything but erratically. By the time I got undressed and in the bed his head was on its way out. Evan was born at 4:09 am, yes nine minutes after I walked through the front door. My doctor arrived about 10- 15 minutes too late, I felt so bad they even had to call him. We spent the next hour getting to bond with him which was nice because after he got to the nursery we didn't get him back for a day and half.

While doing Evan's newborn assessment they found his temperature to be only 95 degrees and his blood sugar was dangerously low. Apparently babies born quickly like he was or in stressful situations have a hard time maintaining these things. He spent the next 36 hours on an IV and glucose drip along with a gambit of test to make sure it was only stress and not another underlying problem causing these dips. It was hard not to get to hold him and cuddle him and just see him even act like a normal baby but eventually he proved himself well enough and we were able to bring him home Monday afternoon.

We have been happy to have him at home and take turns holding him. Everyone is anxious to help with his needs and pick out his clothes. We (mostly Me) have been trying to adjust to no sleep and a new schedule to our day to day lives. It has been nice having Garin home with me this week, I will be sad on Monday when he leaves. And we have lots of wonderful friends helping out where they could (poor Max would have gone crazy with out the Smiths!)

He is a week old now and it is fun to see and learn who he is. He is hungry when he is hungry and lacks any patience when it comes to food. He hates having his diaper changed and gets so upset over it. I said to Garin 'who knew a little boy could be such a drama queen!' We just love our little boy.

7 friends said...:

Wendi and Matt said...

He is so cute! what a story to tell about delivery! We can't wait to see him when we come up!

Trish from Memphis said...

What a great story! Glad to here to at least made it to the hospital bed before you had him! Congrats on such a beautiful boy!

Syssa said...

You finally got your boy after three girls. Congratulations!

The Free Family said...

Must've been the month for crazy labors, huh? He is so cute. Guess I can't call you guys "the girls" anymore!

kdaygirl said...

Yea! Welcome to the 4 girls and 1 boy is so great. He will be spoiled rotten and loved to death! So happy he is healthy and here. I am glad you didnt have him on the floor of the hospital too! Congrats from the Lanegans!

shaina said...

I've tried to post a comment to this post for a while, but it never accepts it for some reason.
Anyway, I'm so glad he is here and you are doing well together. Your birth story sounds very similar to my first labor, having her 11 minutes after arriving at the hospital, and only and hour after the first contraction. Good for you for staying strong! Love ya.

Queen of Chaos said...